3 Times to Bite Your Lip

Christians desperately need to think before we speak, applying Biblical principles to our words. This 1-minute devotion offers 3 times we need to bite our lips.

We all have opinions, but Christians are commanded to have speech that is "full of grace" (Colossians 4:6).

So here are 3 times to bite our lips:


1. When our preferences become dogmatic

God hasn't endorsed only one denomination, Bible study method, translation of the Bible, type of education, or style of music. Many subjects are too complex to boil down to "God's view." So let's be considerate to those with whom we disagree (Romans 14; Philippians 2:3).

See Handling Non-essential Differences, Is the KJV the Best English Translation, and Christmas Confusion.

2. When our timing is bad
Unsaved people need salvation before they can understand God’s principles. Are we giving people the right message at the right time and right place? Matthew 7:6 may sound a bit harsh, but it's an important principle that we not share the deep things of God until a person is open and ready.

See Put first Things first when Sharing Christ.

3. When we don't have our facts straight
It's easy (but very ungracious) to pass along rumors without checking them out, even if we hear them from someone we respect (Proverbs 18:17; 1 Peter 2:1).

See Beware of Slandering Your Brother.

Before we claim to know God's view of something that's political, not moral and before we spread the latest rumor about a Christian leader, let's get the facts, check our hearts, and bite our lips. We expect grace from others, so let's give it ourselves.

🎔🎔🎔🎔🎔🎔🎔🎔🎔🎔

Note: In many areas of life, there is more than one right choice. But there are also wrong choices. For example, even though God has not endorsed only one denomination, He does not approve of cults or false teachers. See Wilderness Wanderers, The Popular Teachings of Joel Osteen, and Beware of the Cardboard Gospel.
https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Life-Devotional-One-Minute-Reflections/dp/1087775760

I encourage you to check out the Wisdom for Life Devotional. It contains 100 one-minute devotions to challenge, encourage, instruct, and inspire your love for God's Word: Wisdom for Life. Read the story behind Wisdom for Life HERE. And find out about the two free Bible studies with purchase HERE. You can read the first 4 devotions in the book by clicking "look inside" on Lifeway or Amazon.
 
I also encourage you to sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.

Christians should think before we speak, applying Biblical principles to conversations. This 1-minute devotion offers 3 times we should bite our lip.


Christians should think before we speak, applying Biblical principles to conversations. This 1-minute devotion offers 3 times we should bite our lip.



Bible Love Notes

17 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a good post!
    Especially when you mention passing on rumors or even Obamacare.

    Thanks again for coming into my computer everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail, I always try to ask myself now what is my motive to say or speak about what is going on. I do always like to say this is my opinion or I do not know the facts. You better check it out.
    Better to bite my lip!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail, this is such good convicting advice!! Thanks for writing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great advice! It's convicting to think about the many times I haven't bitten my lip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a humbling post, my friend! Makes me think of the how the power of life and death comes from our tongue & how it's not just "what" we say, but "how" and "when" we say it! Good word!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gail! Being a concrete kind of gal, I love little rules like these. It really sticks with me, so thank you for this great post that hopefully will make me a better person!

    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great rules of thumb, Gail. I know I've been guilty of all three, but it really gets my dander up when someone else does one of these three with me or in my presence. :) I'm going to bookmark this post so that I can remind myself to avoid these three areas in the future. Great thought and thanks for sharing them at Wedded Wed, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this great reminder! Good advice for sure!
    catching up with you on Say it Saturday!

    Joan @ gramcracker crumbs

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Bible tells us what great trouble the tongue can get us into. I've been there a time or two but am thankful for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete

  10. I am so thankfull That I found this sight today ! I already have a different insight on my sharing of Gods Word ! Have I been to forceful in sharing Gods word I ask myself? Out of the love in my heart for the Salvation of my family and extended family! I pray for their salvation and desire to seek Gods will in there lives. I hope I haven't shared out of desire instead of graceous love ! Thank you for bringing this to my attention! Pray for others to see God in me and for me to know how to go about sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that this spoke to you, Sharon. I pray God will continue to guide you as you share your faith. Bless you,
      Gail

      Delete
    2. Thank you Gail ! You are a great inspiration to me !

      Delete
  11. We use THINK..is it True, is it Helpful, is it Important, is it Necessary, is it Kind. Before we speak we should check our tongues at the door of our lips...made that one up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's so good to be pointed out, but oh it is sometimes so difficult, and I think I can better say nothing sometimes, but certainly pray

    ReplyDelete
  13. "RUMORS" should not be passed on by us ever. (even after checking them out). let us not be the gossips.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, I’ve always believed that if I vote on the principles that is NON-Negotiable that God will work the other stuff out. I can’t in good conscience vote for one policy only to vote against God on abortion or homosexuality. There’s really nothing to even debate. God is faithful. He won’t let me down on taxes if I vote for His favor on things He says are against His very nature. I trust that if I am faithful God will be faithful to me. And He’s never let me down!

    ReplyDelete